My leopard gecko is only eating mealworms and shes not gaining weight?

My oldest leopard gecko who is almost 7 years old hasn't been doing well lately. Right before Christmas of 2012 a cricket bit into a chunk of her tail. Her tail didn't fall off, but there was a huge wound that was bleeding and not healing right. I took her to the vet who gave her special bandages, medication and cream which helped her tail heal up completely. I was shocked as I thought she mightve died from the pain/stress. During and after the injury, she barely ate. She went from eating 7-8 crickets to 1-4, sometimes none. After awhile I had to push the food in front of her face to get her to eat. Recently, she's completely stopped eating crickets. I feed her mealworms now but they don't seem to help her gain weight. Instead, she's losing it. Yesterday I fed her around 15 mealworms medium sized and I see no difference.I know crickets are a Leo's staple diet but shouldnt the mealworms help her gain at least some weight?? Im thinking she may have a parasite. I'm not sure, but my mom thinks that a vet wouldn't be necessary unless she completely stops eating. But it looks like she doesn't eat at all! I've never had this serious of an eating issue with any of my leopard geckos (I have 4). My younger 3 are all healthy and fat. I've had my oldest since I was 9 and I don't wanna see her die :(. Please help :(.

How to Lose Weight Fast on Fable 2

Recommended Answer:

First off, if a mealworm dish is in the tank, get rid of it. If your leo has eating problems, constantly seeing mealworms moving will make her appetite worse.I would add fatty superworms to see if that helps up her weight. Not too many tho...just offer two or three of them a week until she gains weight back.Another choice is getting dubia roaches if you can. Eating just one of the large nymphs or adults once a week will make the weight skyrocket like it did for my leo.If you think parasites are the culprit, get a fresh fecal sample and give it to your vet for testing. Also quarantine her from the other leopard geckos. Move her to a different room, make sure she is the last animal you take care of, and wash your hands constantly to prevent possible disease spreading.Do this for AT LEAST a month to ensure your gecko is healthy enough to go back with the others.

0 comments:

Post a Comment